We Can Act Now to Protect and Improve Heathcare
April 13th, 2011 - 9:28am
In our community, we have hundreds of families without a family doctor. Across Canada, 5 million Canadian share this plight.
We need action now to protect and improve healthcare.
- Take steps to reduce the costs of prescription medicines for Canadians, employers and governments, using the Government's bargaining power in pharmaceutical purchases
- Extend medical coverage to out-of-hospital services like home care and long-term care
- Work with the provinces and territories to address the shortage of doctors, nurses and other health care professionals
- Train 1,200 new doctors over the next 10 years
- Add 6,000 new training spaces for nurses over six years
- Collaborate with the provinces and territories, to establish programs aimed at recruiting and supporting low-income, rural and aboriginal medical students
- Implement a Children’s Nutrition Initiative to support and expand provincial and local programs that provide healthy meals to school-children
The Federal government must negotiate a new ten-year health accord with the provinces and territories. The NDP is committed to a 6 per cent federal increase to Canada’s public health care system – in return for a clear, monitored and enforced commitment to respect the principles of the Canada Health Act and to the integrity and modernization of health care. These are the solutions we need now.
Elect Randall Garrison, NDP for a strong advocate on healthcare.
For the complete NDP platform on healthcare visit http://www.ndp.ca/platform/improve-your-family-health-services
-- Advertising is paid and authorized by the official agent for the candidate.